Sunday, December 23, 2007

Party of 4


My mom and her friend came over, so I wanted to make a dish that was easy and would feed all of us. I've grown so accustomed to cooking for 2 I actually had to dig deep for this one. I decided on baked ziti and paired the pasta dish with garlic twists. I substituted turkey products for beef products because I prefer them. The outcome was fantastic!

Baked Ziti
1 lb. Dry Ziti Pasta
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp fresh rosemary
4 cloves garlic
1/2 pound ground, extra lean turkey
1/2 pound lean italian turkey sausage (removed from casing)
1.5 jar spaghetti sauce (26 ounce)
1/2 pack (approximately 6 slices) light provolone cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 package mozzerella cheese (I used 3/4 package and it was more than enough)

Preheat oven to 350F. Greast a 9x13 baking dish. Boil pasta for 8-10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain. Meanwhile, heat heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook onion until tender, stir in rosemary and garlic, transfer to small bowl. Place ground turkey and sausage in the skilet and cook over medium heat until browned. Stir in onion mixture and spaghetti sauce. Season with salt and reduce to low, simmer for 10 minutes. In medium sized bowl, combine the sour cream and cottage cheese. In the prepared dish, layer 1/2 of the cooked pasta, provolone cheese (lay out each piece in a row to cover pasta), sour cream mixture, 1/2 of meat sauce mixture. Then layer remaining pasta, remaining meat sauce, and top with mozzerella cheese. If desired, top with 2 tbs. of parmesan cheese. (I did not do this). Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Garlic Twists
I cheated on this and used refrigerated breadstick dough, but this can definitely be created from scratch.

2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped basil (I used Italian seasoning instead)
1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese (I used canned)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 11oz can refrigerated breadstick dough

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine first 4 ingredients and microwave to melt butter (don't overcook or you will end up with a mess). Separate breadsticks and dip dough into mixture. Twist breadsticks and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

YUM! I have made this but without the sour cream, I will have to try it sometime!