Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Chicken done Chinese!


Teriyaki Chicken and Fried Rice
Long time, no blog update! Jeff and I debated whether or not to buy a new computer on Black Friday. Ultimately, we decided we didn't really need a laptop, even though ours seemed to be having some minor issues, so we passed on BF sales and stayed in bed. Next day, what do you know, the computer breaks! All of my recipes, pictures, favorite websites, work documents, LOST! We are working on recovering everything, but in the meantime, I haven't had a method to publish my creations, and for that I apologize. =)
I've been making this particular recipe for years, with some variation over time. This concoction seemed to be Jeff's favorite! I added a side of fried brown rice to complete the meal.
Sauce
1 cup soy sauce
1tablespoon grated ginger
1/2 pound green onion, chopped (I omitted)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sesame seed
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon white wine
1 teaspoon oil

In a bowl combine grated ginger root, finely chopped green onions, honey, sesame seed, brown sugar, sesame oil, crushed garlic cloves, and oil. Mix well; let stand for 30 minutes. When cooking, you may want to add cornstarch to thicken. Wait until just prior to plating as mixture will thicken somewhat as it cooks.

Chicken
I pan fried the chicken for several minutes on each side until browned. I then added the sauce and cooked for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Again, for additional thickening, add cornstarch.

Fried Brown Rice
This was just ok. I prefer to use season packets for fried rice and always have in the past, so when I tried it without the standard seasonings, Jeff wasn't as satisfied with the outcome, nor was I!

1/4 cup olive oil (I only used 2 tbs. to save the calories!)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped (I used 1/2 an onion because Jeff isn't a huge onion fan)
1 clove large garlic, crushed
1 lime, juiced
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
mixed vegis (corn, carrots, green beans, etc)
Heat oil in wok or skillet. Add onions and garlic. Saute until just golden. Add desired amount of mixed vegis. Add lime juice. Increase heat to high. Add rice. Stir frequently to coat rice with oil. Cook until rice is golden. Add parsley.

No comments: